Thursday 2 February 2012

New machine - Brother KH 836!!!!


So, I'm pretty excited at the moment, as I have a new to me machine. It's a Brother KH 836 punchcard machine, and I have never owned a Brother until now, but thought it's about time to broaden my machine knitting skills and get working with other makes of machines. It's a Passap next!!!!

I was originally going to go for a KH 950i electronic machine, but having given it a lot of thought I decided against it, for a number of reasons. Firstly, the only reason I wanted a Brother machine was so I could get a garter carriage and try some garter stitch fabrics - well you can get a garter carriage for the punchcard machines!
Number two - when am I realistically going to use the full capacity of the electronics? I hardly use the punchcard mechanism now with my Knitmasters as I tend to knit plain garments in nicer yarns. Number 3 - I really cant be bothered messing around learning how to use the electronics. And number 4 - I cant justify spending over £400 for a machine that is similar to my other machines. If I am going to spend that amount of money, I may aswell just put it towards getting a Passap E6000 - as I really would like one of those. Then that can be the only electronic machine to learn!

I think I am going to love this machine though. It is in pristine condition and is WHITE all over!!! No yellowing whatsover. The sponge bar was ok but not perfect so I ordered a new one from BSK yesterday and it arrived today - hows that for fast delivery!

So next up I want to get a garter carriage for it, and a ribber. I've already bought it a single bed colour changer, and not so bothered about a knit leader just yet, however this may change.

Here are some photos I took - hope you like.

Speak soon

Phil










11 comments:

  1. Brother is a good machine. I always love brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for a Passap, you'll love it!!! By the way, you don't need to buy a Passap E6000, you'll have so much fun and so many things to knit with a Duomatic that you'll never miss the electronics. Plus, it's a lot easier (and a lot less expensive) to get parts for the Duomatic than it is for the E6000.
    I have an old pink Passap Duo that has been upgraded with a four color changer, a Deco, Tricofit and U70. I've been knitting on it for many years and I haven't even scratched the surface of what that great machine can do!
    In the meantime, have fun with your new machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Phil. I used to have a Brother machine and ribber. I really liked it and didn't experience problems ribbing like I do with my 700. But not complaining as I love my 700. Now for some motivation to get back into it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were lucky to get a Brother punchcard machine in such good condition and wise not to get an electronic. Smoke came out of my Brother 930 electronic last week and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it working again. I've heard of similar things happening to many of the Brother electronics which are now more than 20 years old. I don't know if you've got the ribber to go with your punchcard machine but it would be a good idea to get one. Enjoy your new machine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 836 is a workhorse of a machine, you'll love it! I used to have one, they are nice little machines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice machine Phil! Easy to use and a work horse too. Keep it away from the windows as you will get the UV discoloration quickly. Tom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments guys. I am really loving the machine, and have just attached the colour changer that I bought for it. Next is a garter carriage and ribber for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for this post, I was given this machine free, have never ever used any k. machine, but what you write sounds very promising. I too want to knit mainly plain fabrics in nicer, good quality yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. does a brother kh836 transfer and knit the stitches when doing lace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So excited, just bought a Brother KH836 complete, I haven't knitted on one for over 25 years, looking forward to getting back to it. Will be collecting from the Isle of Wight week after next. Its brand new, never been out of the box

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can i use d/k wool on my Brother kh836 ? I have only used 4ply so far. I have only been using machine for 2 weeks so am new to this .If i can use d/k what tension should i use. Many Thanks.

    ReplyDelete