Friday, 29 July 2011
Thanks to Alex - me and my ribber are now friends!
I discovered a few days back that the SRP60 was not designed to be used with the auxilary plates that are used with other ribbers including the SRP50. This was why I was having enormous trouble with using my SRP60 ribber with my Knitmaster 700. I don't know where the brackets had been put as I know my aunt would have used the ribber on a regular basis, but they have been no where to be seen.
A couple of days ago I received the long needed brackets for my 700 machine so that I can use the SRP 60 ribber without the two machines falling out with each other. Alex from Alex's Machine Knitting was very kind enough to send me the brackets as he had a spare set - many thanks again Alex. Today I attached the brackets and set the machine up with the ribber.
The ribber brackets fit into the ribber slots perfectly now and don't move allover!
I was so pleased the ribber and machine seemed to fit better together with the new brackets - much more sturdier. However I still had to make sure the ribber actually worked when knitting so i decided to knit a little swatch of 1 x 1 rib. As i knitted the initial zig-zag row i closed my eyes and hoped for the best. Here's what I got:
A ZIG ZAG!!!!!! Hurray! It worked for once. The problem I was having before was that when i knitted the zig zag row the ribber needles were not picking up the yarn in the hooks and only certain knitter needles were catching too. Now i had a perfect zig zag!
I continued with the cast on and knitted some 1 x 1 rib. This is the result...
I am so pleased I now have a ribber that works with the standard gauge machine. I cant thank Alex enough for sending me these brackets.
Thanks to him - me and my ribber are now friends!